Wednesday, October 8, 2008

From the Shelves of the Paco Library



When I was very young, my parents had a game-chest: a briefcase-type box that contained a game board (checkers or chess on one side, backgammon on the other) decks of cards, a mini-roulette wheel, and a rectangular, green felt cloth, one side of which was for laying bets on the wheel. The other side had a print of a long, oval track for “horse racing”. There were five or six small plastic figures of horses with jockeys hugging their necks, and cards with the names of the most famous race horses. You would line the horses up at the starting line, roll the dice, and advance them, accordingly, along the track.

I suppose the cards with the horses’ names were simply to add some small degree of verisimilitude. All the big names were there: Whirlaway, Man O’ War, War Admiral. I always chose the one that struck me as having the most comical name – Seabiscuit (about which, as they say, more anon).

My experience with real horses has always been mixed. My earliest childhood recollection is of being thrown off a wildly bucking pony (“Gentle as a lamb,” my father’s friend had assured him), that had apparently been stung by a bee or a hornet. I caromed off a tree and hit the ground hard, and remember getting a mouthful of dirt. When I got older, I attended a riding school, and learned to sit a horse more or less properly, and up to maybe ten years ago I would occasionally ride one of my father’s horses when we visited him at his place in the country. He kept a small herd of cattle at the time – mostly for ornamentation – and he had a dappled gray that had been a cutting horse on a real ranch. Dusty had retired, but he kept a hand in, so to speak; every evening, and during the day when a storm approached, Dusty – completely of his own volition - would herd the cattle back in the direction of a large shed at the back of the property, and he always stayed close by them, exercising a sort of proprietary interest. Whenever I climbed up on this horse, it was pretty much strictly as a non-voting passenger; he’d immediately take off for the herd, and my efforts to get him to go in any other direction were met with stolid indifference.

So, as I say, my acquaintance with horses has been somewhat limited, but sufficient to give me a lifelong interest in them, and a keen admiration for the standouts of the species. Which (at long last!) brings me to this week’s Shelves feature. Seabiscuit: An American Legend, by Laura Hillenbrand, one of America’s finest writers on the subject of thoroughbred racing, was the author’s first book, and was, deservedly, an amazing success. It was ranked #1 on the New York Times best seller list for 42 weeks, and was the basis for the movie of the same name released in 2003.

The book reads almost like a novel - a tribute not only to Ms. Hillenbrand’s skill, but to the highly popular subject and his fascinating career. It is a uniquely American story, featuring the overcoming of tremendous obstacles by a group of brilliant, albeit eccentric, characters, not the least colorful of which was Seabiscuit, himself. Although of good stock, he was a comparatively small horse with crooked legs and an unusual gait. His original owners had indifferent success with him, and he eventually wound up in the stables of Charles Howard, an extraordinarily successful automobile salesman. Teaming up with close-mouthed trainer, Tom Smith, and jockeys such as Red Pollard and George Woolf, Seabiscuit began piling up victories and captured the imagination of a country mired in the despair of the Great Depression. Ms. Hillenbrand had me hooked from the preface:

“They had come from nowhere. The horse, a smallish, mud-colored animal with forelegs that didn’t straighten all the way, spent nearly two seasons floundering in the lowest ranks of racing, misunderstood and mishandled. His jockey, Red Pollard, was a tragic-faced young man who had been abandoned as a boy at a makeshift racetrack cut through a Montana hay field. He came to his partnership with Seabiscuit after years as a part-time prizefighter and failing jockey, lugging his saddle through myriad places, getting punched in bloody cow-town boxing rings, sleeping on stall floors. Seabiscuit’s trainer, a mysterious, virtually mute mustang breaker named Tom Smith, was a refugee from the vanishing frontier, bearing with him generations of lost wisdom about the secrets of horses. Seabiscuit’s owner, a broad, beaming former cavalryman named Charles Howard, had begun his career as a bicycle mechanic before parlaying 21 cents into an automotive empire.”

They were an almost magical combination of partners, and their determination led to a string of improbable victories, including the match race with War Admiral (arguably the greatest horse race in history; incidentally, you can see it on YouTube).

This is an excellent slice of Americana by an author who is an expert in her subject and a fine prose writer, to boot.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the movie was excellent, and my sister-in-law raved about the book. But my interest in horses has always been limited to reminding myself not to ride them. The few times that I failed to follow that imperative ended in abject misery.

Paco said...

RJ: I've been thrown off of practically every breed known to man, so I see where you're coming from.

RebeccaH said...

I used to ride horses as a child whenever we visited my uncle. He was a real live cowboy in Texas in the 30's and early 40's, until he went to serve in the Pacific during WWII. After that, he became a foreman on a ranch (which is where my horse riding came in), and some years later became a deputy sheriff for Taylor County. He never had children of his own, but married my aunt who had three small boys from a previous marriage, and he raised them as his own. In later life, he retired to a little "ranch" and raised goats, and in the evenings when he'd sit on his verandah, his pet rooster would jump up and sit on his knee. He passed away this summer, the last of my uncles.

I love horseback riding, but have only managed to do it once or twice every few years, and by now am probably done with it forever. Mr. H is afraid of horses. I've done it saddleback and bareback (and believe me, horses' spines are bony. If I'd ever had the money to pay someone else to do the hard work of taking care of it, I'd have had a horse of my own.

That said, horses are generally not the brightest animal in the cosmos, and are often stubborn (where do you think mules got it?), if not downright mean sometimes.

Anonymous said...

TRJS, you don't have to be much interested in horses to like the book. I read it soon after it came out and liked it enough to go see the movie, when it came along, in a theater, and it takes alot to get me to do that anymore.

Both are worth the time, IMHO. As a matter of fact, they'd make a nice escape from the current misery that is politics and financial news.

Retread

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sure I'd like the book, Retread. It's just that my tastes in reading are a touch eclectic, and generally don't include that genre. So if someone gives it to me, I'll read it, but I won't buy it.

Nope, it took the Paco Library to look outside my own narrow worldview!

Paco, I haven't been thrown, but I've come off of horses with sore knees, and ridden behind horses who constantly fart.

One loathsome creature insisted on walking on the very edge of a hillside trail; my right foot hung over a 100 foot cliff for several miles. Short of shooting the dangerous beast and walking the rest of the way, there was no way of getting him to move even a couple inches over. And I didn't have my pistol with me. Alas.

Nope, as I read in one book (science fiction, in fact), "Horses are for eating." With apologies to horse lovers everywhere, of course; I assure you that any equine based feast would be conducted with the greatest dignity and grace available.

Anonymous said...

I've heard the name 'Seabiscuit' in old movies - Abbott and Costello? There's another old obscure reference filled in for me, thanks Paco. Like the excerpt, sounds like a great book.

Another obscure reference I got explained recently is Wendell Wilkie (I heard his name in an old Bugs Bunny WWII skit). His encounter with Madam Chiang Kai-Shek is just extraordinary.

kc said...

I remember the pony ride at the fair, a real treat for those of us who lived in town. Saw my first horse race there, too. First grade was at a country school & the Stiles kids used to bring Skip (Skippy? Not sure, it was LONG ago) some days & I got to ride him at recess & lunch. Rode with other farm kids now & then over the years. Never got the bug, I guess. Haven't been on a horse in 25 or 30 years.

Unless you count IRON horses...

Anonymous said...

Paco

I assumed this was a lead in to Dick Francis. I've not heard of Seabiscuit but despite a total lack of interest in horses I will have a look.

Are you perchance a Dick Francis fan? The books are generally very good -although the ones since his wife, widely assumed to be his unacknowledged ghost writer, died have gone off a bit. Although they all have a horsey theme at core they are mysteries so the equphobes like me can also enjoy them.

What I find fascinating in them is that he started writing one a year since the late 50s so you can track changes in social attitudes over that period. You can see the same thing in the Ed McBain 87th precinct series.

Paco said...

Bruce: You're likely to see all kinds of references to Seabiscuit in the movies (and even the cartoons) of the late '30's and early '40's. In 1938, for example, Seabiscuit got more news coverage in the U.S. than FDR and Adolf Hitler.

CAC: I am, indeed, a great fan of Dick Francis. And you don't have to be particularly interested in horses to enjoy Seabiscuit; it's just a marvelous story, wonderfully written.

Pogria said...

Hi Paco,

Seabiscuit was a great movie. I'm glad they didn't turn it into a "Pony Magazine", girls own adventure type thing to try to tap into the pony club audience. Don't get me wrong, I'm a rider/owner, and have been for over thirty years. I was one of those crazy, horse mad girls who grew into a horse obsessed teenager.
Tobey Maguire was an excellent casting choice as Red Pollard. I'm ambiguous about Maguire's various acting roles, but he really brought the harshness of Red's life to the forefront of the role.

Do you remember an earlier movie version of Seabiscuit?

It starred Shirley Temple in what I believe was only one of a couple or three movies she made as an adult. It was typical of it's time, beautifully filmed, beautiful Shirley with never a hair out of place, and never without lipstick. It certainly didn't show any of the gruesome side of racing during the depression years like the current film.

I haven't read the book yet, but I will definitely look for it in my local Library. As a horse owner, there's never much money left for books, sigh. Thank god and western societies for Libraries!!!

ps, how's the divine Mrs Paco???

Anonymous said...

Hi to Paco, and of course to Pogria!
The Seabiscuit story is one of the great horse/human stories. My family love the animals,and we have several. I read the Monty Roberts memoir too, and was trying to read between the lines: there were certainly a lot of horses that needed a lot of work to make them tractable, and some stallions that continued to hate humans despite whatever he did. I suspect that continuing schooling is the only way you get a really good result. The breakthrough was just for the initial saddle-up stage.

Pogria said...

Hello blogstrop,

I am truly humbled!

It's been a long time.

Whatever you have heard about stallions is probably not true.

I've worked with horses for years and I am a firm believer in the adage that, "there is no such thing as a bad horse, only bad handlers".

I've seen enough of this to know it is true.

Saying this though, I believe that if a horse has gone bad, irretrievably, I do believe they should be put down.

I adore the five I have. It used to be six, but I lost one a few months ago. To myself, a horse is like a dog, cat or child. They are yours for life, not just for christmas. oops! I think I may have that the wrong way 'round! heheheh

Especially important now as they are all getting old, and feed for old, toothless nags is more expensive than second cut hay for the young ones, sigh.

Hey Blogstrop! do you remember the Shirley Temple version of Seabiscuit?

You'd better! I know Paco is older than I am.! He'd better've seen it also!

Pogria said...

Paco,
your speaking of Seabiscuit reminded me of one of my other favourite horsy movies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085320/usercomments

Champions.

I hope the link is useable. As the reviews say, if this hadn't actually happened in real life, you probably wouldn't believe it!

Another movie I found quite good, and almost credible was, a sequel/remake if you will to National Velvet.

It was called International Velvet, and starred a very young Tatum O'Neill. It was fairly close to factual, and even had the input from several great riders of the time. The main one being Richard Meade. aaaarrrggghhh, he was such a daydream to young girls like myself at the time. mmmmmmmmm

Anonymous said...

No, missed the Shirley Temple version Pogs!
The stallions Monty was talking about (only a couple of instances) were champions out to stud and way too valuable to put down. All he could do was come up with a management scheme to keep them "working" and the handlers in one piece. There was an Australian instance of this that I read about too. Forget the name now, but the horse really got violent but was too valuable to do away with.