Friday, September 11, 2009

Assortment

What a week!

1) An interview at Right Wing News with my new hero, Rep. Joe Wilson of South Carolina (by the way, any elected Republican official who plays useful idiot to the Democrats by trying to force Wilson to apologize on the House floor, or to make any further apologetic overtures, will be subpoenaed to appear before the Paco Enterprises Snark Panel).

2) Confused, hysterical, leftist vaginaphobe busted for possession of pot (it probably belonged to a friend, and he simply claimed it for his own to spare his pal embarrassment).

3) Amtrak’s counter-terrorism unit seems to have been turned off, largely because the regular and unionized Amtrak cops objected to it. As a previous long-time Amtrak rider, I can tell you this is not a good thing.

4) A pro-life demonstrator has been shot in Michigan. The Blogprof has details.

Update: Mark McKinnon - another skin-deep Republican - wants to run Joe Wilson out of town. I got as far as the sub-heading of the article - "Former Bush and McCain strategist" - and then decided I'd seen enough (H/T: Dan Riehl).

4 comments:

JeffS said...

I've seen unionized security forces. The Amtrak story merely reinforces my distaste for them.

kc said...

"Security Force" in this case is a HUGE oxymoron. Only security these folks are interested in is their own.

Paco said...

Jeff: There was an Amtrak cop who used to make the same trip I did every morning during my long-commute days . Nice guy, slept a lot, flirted with the ladies when he was awake. I doubt that he would have been much help in an emergency, though.

JeffS said...

My experience is somewhat different, Paco, as the security force in question actually guarded something rather important, had standards, and where regularly inspected.

What got me was the adversarial relationships between management and the unionized guards. I could not imagine how they could work together in a genuine tactical response.

But I've also seen what you describe. Security guards or police officers without decent training and physical standards, and acting as though the job is an entitlement? That sends chills down my spine.