Monday, December 14, 2009

Today is Bill of Rights Day

I didn’t know that, until I read about it in this article by Professor Kevin R.C. Gutzman. Possibly the day nearly escaped my notice because, with the metastasis of Big Government, the occasion is in danger of becoming about as relevant as St. Vitus’ Day or the naming of the Pumpkin Queen in Circleville, Ohio.

We should all resolve to take the thing out of mothballs, dust it off, and read it today – perhaps focusing on the tenth amendment.

3 comments:

Yojimbo said...

The Bill of what? I think that's been changed to the "Bill of Writs Day" or something. I heard the EPA was celebrating by hanging the "Takings Clause" in effigy.

The Tenth has gone the way of all things. I think it started with Teddy and then built momentum with Woodrow Wilson and FDR and then the lid blew off the pot with LBJ's "War on Poverty", just look at all of the agencies and mandates that spawned.

Sooo! We could do an American version of Guy Fawkes Day and light bonfires and burn LBJ in effigy. Call it Baines Johnson Day if you like, or not!:)

Yojimbo said...

THAT HAS BEEN not that's!! My word.

There is a twist to FDR's "Four Freedoms" in there but I'm just not smart enought to think of it.:(

RebeccaH said...

That's a terrific link to the Tenth Admendment site. It would be worth reading that aloud at a Tea Party.