Monday, April 4, 2016

The tedious mediocrity of "hip"

American Digest offers a fine explication of Seattle's self-conscious art and music scene.

I suppose we shouldn't wonder that our political contests have become increasingly infested with the vulgar, the obscene and the downright ugly; the political does not exist in a bubble secure from the influences of culture - a fact that many conservative and centrist politicians, obsessed with the calculus of mere electioneering, have been far too slow to grasp.

3 comments:

RebeccaH said...

It's why I don't go to gatherings anymore where people sit around and discuss "art". I don't want to have to beat somebody to death with my cane.

Paco said...

You could always explain that as "performance art".

Zardoz said...

I fled Seattle almost 20 years ago when it started the transition from a quirky small city to being "San Francisco on the Sound". I have not been back since.