Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Southport, and the livin's easy

I took Daisy outside yesterday morning and found this fellow adhering to the front porch overhang...



That's a green tree frog, and not my last encounter with one that day.

The mailboxes for our neighborhood are centralized in one location about a fifth of a mile from the house, and are of the lock-box variety, requiring a key. Mrs. Paco and I walk there most evenings to retrieve our mail, and yesterday, after unlocking the box and extracting the three letters that happened to be in there, I was about to close the door when Mrs. Paco said, "Um, I don't think you got it all." I peered into the box and there was a small green blob - another tree frog. For a moment I thought the poor little fellow might have expired, but I saw his throat throbbing, so I picked up a stick and gently nudged him toward the opening, where he headed for the tall uncut.

Today, Mrs. Paco and I went to see a lawyer to update our wills. We were glad to find the attorney to be a man of experience, learning and wry humor, and, upon hearing that he should have drafts completed in the next couple of weeks, we assured him we would try to hang on long enough to finish the process. Then we took a stroll along the waterfront in Southport, which is on the Cape Fear River where it flows into the ocean. It is a lovely and picturesque little town, with well-maintained parks, lots of shops and eateries, and numerous covered tables and swings from which one can watch the river. Here are a few photos.







Here are some houses that reflect the typical architecture of homes alongside the river (at least one of them - I think the second house - is over 150 years old, if the little plaque by the front door is accurate).







Of course, aside from getting our wills in order, I had a strong ulterior motive for going downtown (good hot dogs and ice cream, I can report)...



I was hoping to run into this guy, but didn't see him around today.

7 comments:

rinardman said...

I was hoping to run into this guy, but didn't see him around today.

Ya know Paco, I'm not sure, but I don't think "this guy" would have felt the need to use a stick to de-frog his mailbox.

BTW, thinking you might know something about the lethality of green tree frogs that I didn't, I checked. Did you know green tree frogs are one of the most popular breeds of pet frogs? If it comes back to your mailbox, give it a name and tell your family you have a new pet.

Paco said...

In my defense, it was a short stick. I could have been maimed at any time. I'm just glad it wasn't a 'gator in there.

rinardman said...

The important thing is, you defended Mrs Paco from the beast, and no one lost any appendages to what could have been (for all you knew) a vicious killer.

The only thing I would suggest, if it ever IS a gator in there...find a much longer stick.

bruce said...

Did that old homestead have big verandahs for balmy pre-aircon evenings? Under the 'skeeter net?

Mike_W said...

Those southern style houses with the surrounding covered verandas look great; and it must be relaxing to sit on the verandas sipping lemonade during summer.
The pillars must drive the "social justice" rabble crazy.

RebeccaH said...

I think you are loving life, Mr. Paco sir.

Paco said...

Rebecca: I am indeed.